Just one question before I begin this post: How do you pose for a photo of your new handmade dress without feeling (or looking) like a dork? (Sigh….)
Well, I finished this dress today. (And my husband assures me that it looks much better in person.)
I used Butterick ( it said “Fast and Easy”–ha!) 5450 and a Michael Miller fabric (Whimsy). Let me just say that I won’t be using this pattern again. This dress was a big pain to make. The bodice is fully lined, and there was no way to try on the bodice for adjustments until the lining was completely sewn in. Of course, once I got the bodice completely constructed, I needed to make adjustments to the neckline and the side seams. Grr…. Also, the zipper is located on the side of the garment, rather than the back. This might’ve been part of the reason that the construction directions were so unusual, but it also means that each time I put on this dress I have to step through the side and then pop my head and arms up through the top. A back zipper seems more logical to me.
Nonetheless, I’m happy with how the dress turned out and will be glad to add it to my wardrobe.