Both of my big kids really love the Nutcracker. I’ve gotten one particular video recording out of the library so many times (and it seems I’m the only patron who cares about it at all) that I really wish they’d give it to me. (And I can’t find that particular one that my kids love so much for sale anywhere on the internet.) Anyway….
We went to a Nutcracker ballet performance last Sunday, and my kids are still on their Nutcracker “high.” My daughter has been acting it out with her ballet Barbies, dancing around the house to the Nutcracker music, etc. and my son has been drawing Mouse Kings and making Mouse King and Nutcracker masks. Here are some photos of his awesome creations:
(There’s no way I’d have thought of a way to make a 3-dimensional mouse hat like this out of paper. I think I have a pretty intelligent 5-y-o!)
We’re on Christmas break right now, so I’ve had some extra time to scratch my creative itch. This is what I made today, much to the delight of my dear son:
(My daughter made her own mouse mask while I made his.)
He was so excited, and it was so fun making it for him.
Here’s what I did:
I had actually seen felt Mouse King masks for sale in an Etsy shop, so I copied the idea off someone else (sorry, whoever you are out there…) I sketched it out on paper and then cut it out of the felt and stitched it together with embroidery floss. I bought 3/4 yard of purple velvet at Hobby Lobby, and it would’ve cost $9, except that I had a 40% off coupon. I had leftover fleece material from the cape I made my nephew last Christmas, and I edged the cape with that. (I happened to still have the receipt and noticed that I paid $2 last year for 1/2 yd. of it, and it was enough for 2 capes.) And I had leftover gold rope from that costume too. So, I certainly paid under $10 for the whole costume.
Something significant that I did that I think makes these capes fit nicely: I cut a piece of 1/2 in. elastic to a length so that it just touches his collar bone on either side when wrapped around the back of his neck, and sewed it into the ends of the cape. It keeps the cape bunched up nicely and helps it to stay put when he’s wearing it.
The only tough part: The fleecy material is pretty thick, and when I was sewing layers of it together, it was kind of hard to move it through the machine. When I was sewing two layers of fleece, a layer of velvet, a layer of elastic, and a layer of rope together, my machine had a pretty hard time with it. I ended up doing a bit of hand-stitching to make sure the elastic was going to stay put.
So far, Christmas break has been all about creativity in this house. Maybe tomorrow I can show you what I’ve been making for my daughter….